Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) reduced its own carbon emissions by 19% between 2007/2008 and 2012/2013. It achieved this through introduction of energy management, including metering, monitoring and Quick Wins and by investing in energy efficiency such as LED lighting and more efficient fleet vehicles. The organisation developed a clear plan to reach its carbon savings target of 75% by 2018 and is developing plans to be a zero-carbon authority by 2033. The action plan was established by:
- Monitoring the current energy consumption of all the activities
- Defining a clear but flexible plan
- Determining clear responsibility and mobilising adequate resources
- Engaging senior management’s support
- Changing the corporate culture
- Setting aspirational targets and reporting successes to encourage staff.
Fig. 26 – View of the TfGM zero-carbon target strategy