The aim of public campaigns is to familiarise the general public with the idea of reducing carbon emissions and to position the organisation as an innovator in this field. Public transport companies are the ideal partners of a city or a region when it comes to communicating on energy challenges and GHG emissions reduction, for the following reasons:
- Wide audience of passengers
- Extensive presence across a city
- Available places for communication media: TV screens, billboards, website, vehicles, etc.
- Consistency in terms of the message.
- Public transport produces less carbon emissions than private cars per passenger transported
- Everyone can reduce carbon emissions by choosing public transport
- Public transport sector is investing to reduce its carbon footprint.
Fig1. Public Campaign overview 2011
Fig2. Energyweek 2011